Friday November 23, 2012 will be the third annual Record Store Day Black Friday edition. The Record Store Day Black Friday event has increased in value, focus and record label/artist participation every year. It’s a smart way to anchor and highlight music buying for the holiday shopping season.
The list of unique and limited numbered record vinyl is available on the Record Store Day Web site. The list document is a downloadable/printable PDF or Web page listing. I find having the hard copy list with me in the store adds to the fun of finding the vinyl treasures you seek.
Record Store Day Black Friday is a tough day for me. My favorite record store in New Haven closed this past year, Cutler’s Record Shop. Phil Cutler always had an extensive vinyl inventory for Record Store Day. I will have to find another Connecticut record store who supports this Record Store Day event in abundance and choice. Otherwise I will make a trip to New York City and the Greenwich Village/West Village record stores. I like to spend the day with my son record shopping that day so that may end up being the plan
Here are a few vinyl highlights that have caught my interest so far, lots to study and check out, cool! I expect more specialty vinyl to be announced as we get closer to the event day.
1) Beach Boys Surfin’ Safari, 10″ 180 gram vinyl in gatefold sleeve with their first ever single, and their latest single
2) Eric Burdon and The Greenhornes, Apolinere Enameled
3) David Bowie, The Jean Genie, 40th Anniversary, 7″ Picture Disc
4) Grateful Dead, Live at Winterland (5/30/1971)
5) Velvet Underground, VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO – SCEPTER STUDIOS ACETATE
6) Frank Zappa, Why Don’cha Do Me Right, Big Leg Emma