I wish I had more wall space in my house to accommodate rock poster art. I have several rock posters hanging on my walls that I really enjoy looking at and studying for hours.
What brought this subject more into focus today were two points of intersection. I was looking at the Europe ’72 Vol. 2 CD on the Grateful Dead Web site. The new artwork from my favorite poster artist, Stanley Mouse for the Europe ’72 Vol. 2 CD, (which releases on September 20, 2011), captured my imagination once more.
I began to browse more about Stanley Mouse’s art when I discovered the Rockin Roses Web site. I became enchanted with the poster art I found there by Stanley Mouse and others…
“Stanley Mouse drew and painted from inside the music. The spirit that drove the music of the ’60s was the same spirit that drove his art.”
– Joel Selvin
This browsing then lead me to the American Artifact Web site which furthered my excitement when I learned that a rock poster artist documentary film by the same name had premiered last year. The DVD of the American Artifact film was for sale on their Web site and I soon placed an order for it for our movie night consumption.
I love that San Francisco serves as the origin of rock posters and also has The Rock Poster Society (TRPS) where you can become a member. I think I might join this fine organization in celebration of my 60th birthday later this year. I’d love to be able to attend the TRPS Festival of Rock Posters event held on October Saturday October 8th, 2011 at the Hall of Flowers in Golden Gate Park in the beautiful city of San Francisco.
As I thought further about art rock posters even more resources came to mind. I must come back to this topic again soon
1) Bill Graham Presents: The Art of the Fillmore – The Poster Series 1966-1971 – Acid Test Productions
2) The Art of Rock Posters from Presley to Punk by Paul Grushkin
3) The Art of Modern Rock: The Poster Explosion by Paul Grushkin and Dennis King
4) Gig Posters: Rock Show Art of the 21st Century By Clay Hayes
5) The Small Stakes Music Posters By Jason Munn
6) Rock, Paper, Show by American Poster Institute
Hatch Show Print
1) American Poster Institute
2) The Rock Poster Society – TRPS
1) Flatstock 31 – Seattle
(Part of the fantastic Bumbershoot Music and Arts Festival September 3-5 2011, Seattle Center)
2) TRPS Festival of Rock Posters – October 8, 2011, San Francisco
1) Gig Posters
2) Jason Munn