I witnessed this article/video about punk poetess Patti Smith on msn Music. I am sharing that link embedded in this picture.
I was very moved by Patti Smith’s acceptance speech and performance at this years Rock and Roll Hall Fame awards. I love her frankness as she builds an immediacy with her audience. Patti comes across as genuine and honest in her interpretation of life, politics and art.
I have been a long time fan of Patti Smith ever since my college FM radio days when I played Patti Smith’s Horses and Easter albums extensively on the air.
Here is The New York Magazine web column about Patti Smith’s concert appearance at Carnegie Hall to help U.S. Tibet House. Again she proves how mesmerizing her artistry is live. Her psychic connection with the late Allen Ginsberg tells me how they are truly the soul of the poet. This is the cosmic poem, Witchita Vortex Sutra by Allen Ginsberg that Patti read in loving tribute that night accompanied by genius composer Philip Glass.
Tune in to the new dozen cover songs of other artists performed by Patti Smith. Her new SONY CD is titled Twelve. I love her interpretations, I believe you will dig them too
1. “Are You Experienced?” (Jimi Hendrix)
2. “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” (Tears for Fears)
3. “Helpless” (Neil Young)
4. “Gimme Shelter” (Rolling Stones)
5. “Within You Without You” (The Beatles)
6. “White Rabbit” (Jefferson Airplane)
7. “Changing Of The Guards” (Bob Dylan)
8. “The Boy In The Bubble” (Paul Simon)
9. “Soul Kitchen” (The Doors)
10. “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (Nirvana)
11. “Midnight Rider” (The Allman Brothers Band)
12. “Pastime Paradise” (Stevie Wonder)
Take a look at Patti Smith’s Rolling Stone Magazine interview here: