I love coffee table books. Lisa Johnson has put together a definitive music coffee table publication, 108 Rock Star Guitars. It’s a 396-page art book, bound in embossed red leatherette, and features 300 images of iconic guitars. It’s a 17 year labor of love. The book is slated for release on October 8th, 2013. The date of the book release has 108 in it, 10/8 😉
I admire what she has accomplished with this stunning photographic and annotated portfolio of the rock star guitar. Competent design is a reflection of technique. Lisa Johnson uses a macro lens and showcases a variety of the last film stock ever manufactured for Kodak Professional and the transition to digital.
The foreword was written by the late Les Paul in 2009. It adds an intimate rainbow hue over this gala guitar collection. Lisa Johnson is dedicating a portion of the book proceeds to help The Les Paul Foundation. (See below)
In honor of the 4th of July 2013 here is Wayne Kramer of MC5 fame’s 2010 Signature Fender Strat.
The mission of the Les Paul Foundation is to honor and share the life, spirit, and legacy of Les Paul by supporting music education, engineering and innovation as well as medical research. The Les Paul Foundation is an approved IRC 501(c) 3 organization.
The Les Paul Foundation:
- Awards grants to music, music engineering and sound programs that serve youth.
- Establishes music-related scholarships at schools and programs for students.
- Provides grants for medical research and programs related to hearing impairment.
- Supports public exhibits displaying Les Paul’s life achievements.
- 108 Rock Star Guitars by Photographer/Author Lisa S. Johnson (cameraconnect.wordpress.com)