I received my Leslie West Still Climbing Audio CD and Poster today. Very cool of Leslie West and Mascot Label Group to ship early to pre order customers. I love that I have the four days to hear this rocking album before it officially drops for all to buy and hear on Tuesday October 29th.
The color scheme for the trifold CD cover is soothing with its brown and orange space planets theme. It always helps to get liner notes to dig into each recording more thoroughly.
Still Climbing Track Listing and Interpretation
1. Dyin’ Since The Day I Was Born (Leslie A. Weinstein & Jon Tiven)
Leslie West is joined by special guest Mark Tremonti on guitar
This song cooks and I love the way it builds, its an energy rocker that hooks you good.
2. Busted Disgusted Or Dead (Leslie A. Weinstein & Jon Tiven)
Leslie West kicks it abetted by Johnny Winter‘s 2nd half of guitar solo
The silkiness cross-thatched with the grittiness meshed totally works. The track produces an effective layered sound. Johnny Winter pushes out a slide guitar passage that grabs you and doesn’t let go. I have such total respect for two rock and roll survivors carrying on the tradition in tight formation.
I find myself watching this show some evenings. I like the original music written and performed. I’m glad Leslie West covered it and helps share this music with his fans.
4. Not Over You At All (Leslie A. Weinstein, Jennifer-West Weinstein)
The first of four husband and wife collaborations. I love the support and sharing that takes place here.
I was subsequently sad to learn that Arno Hecht (Uptown Horns) who plays sax on this track daughter Ava died recently. Leslie opens his heart to her , stating Arno’s daughter would be very proud of him. He then states this is his favorite song.
5. Tales of Woe – (Leslie A. Weinstein, Jennifer-West Weinstein)
We learn how Leslie West and his wife Jennifer cope with the loss of Leslie’s leg due to diabetes. His road back is an encouraging one for all of us to be proud of for them both.
6. Feeling Good (Anthony Newley & Leslie Bricusse)
Featuring Dee Snider (Who I loved on The Apprentice)
An old chestnut takes on new life between Leslie and Dee’s respective energies and mutual appreciation.
7. Hatfield or McCoy (Leslie A. Weinstein, Jennifer-West Weinstein, Joseph M. Piazza)
8. When A Man Loves A Woman (Calvin Lewis & Andrew Right)
Featuring Johnny Lang
I have seen Johnny Lang live twice. He posses that true conviction when he plays. I love how he sucks you in. Well played gentlemen.
9. Long Red (Leslie A. Weinstein, Felix Pappalardi, John Elis Ventura, Norman Landsberg)
Featuring Larry West Weinstein, Leslie’s brother who played with him in The Vagrants
Long my favorite Mountain song, I couldn’t wait to hear the updated version on Still Climbing. Leslie West did not disappoint. I found myself rocking and drumming harder than ever.
10. Don’t Ever Let Me Go (Leslie A. Weinstein, Jennifer-West Weinstein)
Featuring Dylan Rose
11. Reverend Jones Time, an Over The Rainbow Instrumental
Leslie West – Guitar, Bass – Rev Jones
But just don’t take my word about this new recording. Watch Leslie West explain track by track what he accomplished with others with Still Climbing.
- Leslie West – Still Climbing (musicofourheart.me)
- LESLIE WEST To Guest On Rockline (bravewords.com)
- Leslie West on His New Album, Mountain’s Legacy and Overcoming Obstacles (ultimateclassicrock.com)
- LESLIE WEST: Entire ‘Still Climbing’ Album Available For Streaming (blabbermouth.net)